Perennial Ex-Pat

I'm English and I live in Macau. Nuff said.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Me-Too: living in Asia

I'm a me-too.

After several months of reading blogs I've decided to create my own. I've got lots of interesting things to say, the challenge is whether I can be bothered to say them. I'm also by nature a private person, so I'm partly writing this blog as an experiment.

Last week I moved to Macau. Macau. Near Hong Kong. It's the Las Vegas of the East you know. I'm chomping at the bit, after 5 months of professional and personal wonderings.

So what are my current preoccupations?

1) Finding a place to live. I'm currently staying at the Hotel Sintra (room 1319 if you're interested) but am actively looking for an apartment. Actually, apartments in Macau are suprisingly expensive, more than twice what I paid when I lived in Jimena, Spain (when I can be bothered I'll tell you all about the prior me). An apartment that I was ready to take was mysteriously taken off the market at the last minute.

2) Whether I should be writing this blog at all.
It might jeapordize my chances of becoming Prime Minister. If the shop-lifting conviction hasn't already done that.

3) Will Steven Gerrard re-sign?

4) Building a social life in Macau.
The real challenge here is building a social life in Macau that doesn't necessarily revolve around drinking copious amounts of alcohol regularly.

5) Where did all my socks go?
I've been living out of a suitcase for the past 4 weeks, I've travelled from Spain, to Colombia, to Canada, to Ireland and now to Macau. But how did I manage to survive all that travelling with only 2 pairs of socks? Sandals.