Perennial Ex-Pat

I'm English and I live in Macau. Nuff said.

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Bore Clinton

I was passing recently, as you do, through Bogota Airport in Colombia. Desperate for something to distract my attention from the Colombian flight attendants (who are all impossibly delicious and, adding to the attraction, have a habit of speaking in Spanish) I went to buy something to read. The only book I found in English was Bill Clinton's autobiography, 'My Life'.

Now, I'm a big fan of Bill Clinton. I lived in the States for 7 years, moving there in February 1993, one month after his inauguration. He was the first President/Prime Minister that I actually admired, growing up in Thatcher's Britain. But I gotta say, this book is this most bland, defensive and patronising piece of writing I've ever read.

Every event in his early life apparantly, lead directly to a political philosophy of his, the way his grandfather was kind to his poor black customers, having a mentally retarded neighbour, his first wank. Christ. The problem is, he's obviously very frustrated about his legacy and the way his presidency was derailed by the Lewinsky affair amongst other things. Hence, the book reads like a manifesto, a 'Why You Should Like Me' book and comes from a man who hasn't finished his political career yet and can't afford to be candid.

I should have stuck with the Colombian flight attendants. Hola mami, que pasa...