Perennial Ex-Pat

I'm English and I live in Macau. Nuff said.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

How Was Your Day?

Mine was shit, thanks for asking.

After having literally NO sleep last night, I made my way to Macau to finalise various bits and pieces and be sure that my severance package actually gets into my account and clears. I get on the 9am ferry, but after waiting for it to leave for 15 minutes they tell everyone to get off because 'the engine isn't working'. I don't know that much about mechanical things, but I'm guessing the engine is the one thing that HAS to work if you actually like your ferries to go places. Inauspicious start.

As you can imagine it was fairly uncomfortable to go into the office, although everyone is very sympathetic about the situation (and, more relevantly, now worried for their own jobs). I did not expect that I'd have to go through what was essentially a 3 hour negotiation, having to negotiate what seemed like every clause on my package. I got what I wanted in the end, but I wasn't at all equipped for having to work for it so hard, especially after no sleep the night before.

I then returned to my apartment to disover there was no electricity. No electricity means no air conditioning, and for a gweilo like it's impossible to stay anywhere here without AC. So, assuming that I hadn't paid the bill, I had to make my way down to CEM and pay it. Then I had to sit in a bank for an hour trying to transfer money to the UK, then I had to buy a plane ticket to the UK but with cash because my CC company decided to block my card because of suspected fraudulent activity. They haven't quite got to grip with the fact I travel a lot, because this seems to happen every couple of months.

The only good thing that's likely to happen today is later tonight, when I go to DD's, get very pissed and wait for somebody, probably Indonesian, to tell me how beautiful my eyes are.

PS: due to my current fragile condidtion, I'll be accepting unsolicited compliments and tender words of love and kindness for the next 24 hours.