Perennial Ex-Pat

I'm English and I live in Macau. Nuff said.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Skype Me, I'm Miserable

I'll probably regret this, but I've added a Skype status graphic on the right column. It tells you if I'm online or not and if you've got Skype installed then you can just click on it to talk (talk?!) to me.

Finally beaten by the tedium of Macau nightlfe, I stayed in last night. Then I quickly was beaten by the tedium of Macau television, so tonight I'm going out. Yawn. You may have gathered that I'm not a big fan of Macau. If you're a single guy who isn't addicted to gambling you're gonna have problems. Double that if you're a gweilo ex-pat.

My job is fantastic. All the advantages that I saw in the position have materialised. I'm learning learning learning: a new marketplace (China), how to be a Director, how to hire staff and build a team and we're genuinely doing ground-breaking stuff. It's the right balance between being in my comfort zone plus just the right amount of new stuff.

Before I came out here I thought very very hard about whether it was the right move. For the first time in my life I actively considered the infamous 'work/life balance'. I loved Spain, especially my new apartment in Jimena, I was finally making Spanish friends there and my Spanish was getting to a level where I could ask for TWO beers, not just one. But I decided that the opportunity here was maybe a once in a lifetime and that the skills and experience I'd garner here in such an emerging market would be in high demand amongst Western companies looking to crack China in the coming years.

I made that decision knowing that I'd probably dislike living in Macau, but I thought the compromise was worth it in the long term. I made the right decision. I'm just feeling sorry for myself on a Saturday afternoon, still without football.