New Orleans
The latest events, that shots have been fired at rescue helicopters, in New Orleans are horrific. There really can't be anything lower than looting in those circumstances, especially in a country as wealthy as the US. In typical apologist fashion the BBC had previously described the looting as 'desperate acts in desperate times', which is complete balls.
I have a soft-spot for New Orleans. My first car journey, as a driver, was with my girlfriend at the time from Charlottesville, VA to New Orleans, LA. I remember we started the journey on a Tuesday, I remember that because I'd only passed my driving test the previous Saturday. It was about 1000 miles and it took 2 days. Funnily enough, when we arrived in New Orleans at about 6 in the morning, a massive storm has just hit the city and there was flooding like I'd never seen before (nothing compared to what they've got now). At points we were driving through 2 feet of water, in central New Orleans! We eventually arrived at the hotel, collapsed into bed, and woke about 4 hours later to find the storm had completely cleared. Not only that, but the ground was bone-dry with not even a hint of the flooding that was terrifyfing us only 4 hours previously. Such was the power of the Louisiana sun. New Orleans is right up there with NYC as my favourite city in the US.
Still feeling ill, although working. It's been 4 days now with a fever and although that doesn't sound like much I normally get over these things very quickly, so I'll finally succumb and see a doctor tomorrow if there's no improvement. No doubt he'll disapprove of my normal method of treatment which involves taking mega-doses of Vitamin C. I mean as much as 4g, 3 or 4 times a day. I swear by it though so I'll politely nod and agree and then continue with it anyway, a practice I've gotten very good at when dealing with doctors in recent years.
Just watched Rockstar: INXS. Jesus, it's so puke-worthy. If Japanese porn didn't suck so much I'd be watching the Butterfly (how sweet) Channel.
Last night I watched a documentary about Peter Cook's life (sorry, deleted it, can't remember its name. From the BBC, at around 1995/1996, the time of his death). An excellent documentary, despite the fact they insisted upon inserting clips of his comedy in between every talking-head. I'll handily summarise his life for you, so you don't have to watch the doc, or heaven forbid, read a book:
Posh guy grew up in Public School
Clever type, wrote plays and stuff
Went to Cambridge, where cleverness and popularity increased. Wrote more plays and stuff
Left Cambridge, wrote and starred in 'Beyond the Fringe'
Beyond the Fringe became a massive hit in London and Broadway. He becomes the poster-child of the British satire movement. Cleverness at peak, popularity rising.
Pesky David Frost comes along and nabs poster-child-of-satire-crown from him (at night, in a pub I think)
Goes on to write and star in tv show 'Not Only...But Also' with Dudley Moore. Cleverness waning, popularity at peak.
[I've gotten bored of this] Fights a lot with Dudley Moore, they split up, popularity in massive decline, insanely jealous of DM's Hollywood success, drinks a lot. Dies.


<< Home