It's a Lot More Expensive to Bribe Police in Europe
I know from experience that to bribe a traffic cop in Brazil costs only 5 Reals (about £1.25). I now know, from experience too, that to bribe a cop in Spain costs about £150.
On my way from Tarifa to Malaga I overtook a truck where overtaking wasn't permitted. I wasn't driving very quickly and it wasn't a dangerous maneouver but it was illegal. Unfortunately at the exact same point I was doing this the Guardia Civil Trafico were there, waving me down. They were reasonably friendly and explained to me what I'd done wrong and that there was a fine. 300 fucking euros. But if I paid now I could get a 30% discount. So only 210 euros then. I explained I didn't have 210 euros on me. No problem, we'll drive you to the bank. And if I don't have the money? Then they'll take my car 'as a deposit'.
They then took my license and drove towards the bank, with me following behind. I withdraw the cash but didn't have the exact change. Do you have change? Sure I do, he says, rifling through his wallet and pulling out a 10 euro note.
Does anyone know if this is as dodgy as it seems? I got a receipt and everything, but driving me to the bank seemed a bit dubious.


<< Home