Perennial Ex-Pat

I'm English and I live in Macau. Nuff said.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

I'm so Excited...

...I think I'm going to cry

Today is the first day of the football season. God knows how I survive summers without football. My big problem here is getting football on TV, the cable company don't service this building. Wankers.

So, as 3pm came round, I was desperately searching around the net to see how I could get my football fix. Radio, uknova, jesus even the vidiprinter would do. I came across a few sites offering live broadcasts supplied, highly illegally, by various channels across the world that have legitmately paid for the rights to broadcast football.

I was very sceptical. Firstly the website doesn't exactly give you much reason to think they're a reputable company. I also doubted that I could pay such a small amount (£5) and get anything remotely close to a watchable service. As far as I know, broadcasting TV at a watchable resoloution (and it has to be a fairly high res to watch something like football) would cost a fortune in bandwidth and hardware and given that this is highly illegal and therefore difficult to market, they wouldn't be able to get the number of customers they'd need at £5 a pop to cover costs.

Highly dubious, I signed up anyway and jimeny cricket. It's bloody amazing. I've been watching Bolton v Aston Villa from ESPN Star based in Singapore for the past hour, at a very watchable resolution and there's been no interuptions (I frequently get interuptions even listening to BBC radio). I don't know how they do it, but this is gotta be a much bigger business than I thought. Also, I've got a hunch that the service is hosted in Asia because the connection seems so quick and stable.

Changing subjects: I've got such a sore neck, I really need a massage. Thing is, Macau is so dodgy that it's probably impossible to get a massage here without a, erm, happy ending.

Changing subjects again: Jason has posted more of his photography online. Ch-ch-ch-check it out.

I got home earlier than normal last night (5am I think). But Jesus I drank loads. When I got home I was on the phone to Spain and Colombia for about an hour and a half, drunk as hell, telling everyone I loved them. Thankfully I used Skype so it didn't cost me that much to make a complete fool of myself. Then this morning got very depressed by watching a BBC programme 'Should I Worry About...Drinking?'. Apparantly I should.

Changing subjects once more: I've just being chatting online with Geany a friend from Buenos Aires. Actually, she's Brazilian [yes, she's hot] but lives in Argentina. Chatting away, she nonchalantly says something along the lines of 'oh, you're not capable of loving anyone'. Christ, what a thing to say. That echoes what Ros (see below) said the last time I saw her which was that I was very cold. Now, this is a million miles away from my self-image which is, once I get to know someone, very warm and very loyal. Actually, although I admittedly get bored very quickly, whilst I'm not bored the last thing I am is cold. But as this has come from two people I can't so easily dismiss it. Or maybe I can. Yep, just did. Bullshit.

Oh, Liverpool vs Middlesbrough's on next. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!