Perennial Ex-Pat

I'm English and I live in Macau. Nuff said.

Monday, December 19, 2005

The little buggers

at the dodgy travel agent I used to buy my Colombia tickets have double charged me (or triple, I can't quite figure it out yet)...to the sum of something like 2000 GBP.

My mate Rich was with me for much of the weekend. We spent Saturday afternoon in Cadiz (not worth it) and then in the evening Richard spent some time removing the bats from my kitchen and bedroom. Yes, bats.

Two nights previously I'd opened a window at nighttime to rescue me and the house from my attempts at starting a fire. It had only been opened for 15 minutes max, but it seems two bats flew in. I noticed one of them right away in the kitchen, I had seen it in the fold of the curtain, so long as I knew where it was and that it couldn't suck me dry (stop it) overnight I wasn't too concerned. Richard's job when we returned from Cadiz was to remove the blood-sucker from the house, dead or alive. He did this admirably, and the cool customer he is, even stopped to pose for pictures (email me to see them). A couple of hours later I walked into my bedroom, turned the light on, only to see another giant blood sucker flapping away. He lost a hero that night. I unleashed the girliest scream a man of my size is capable of, then hurled myself out of the bedroom screaming to Richard 'Help me help me, there's another fucking bat in there'. He rose to the occasion again, saving me a slow and probably painful death. It quickly dawned on me, however, that I must have spent the previous night with it in my bedroom. Eeeewwwwww.

Last night I was hooked up with Otavia for dinner. She's the hot Spanish/Brazilian combo I talked about previously. No go there though. I even forgot (forgot?! how?) to take pictures. Didn't burn any bridges though so this will be a slow-burner (overuse of the 'burn' metaphor...sorry). Then went for drinks with a friend and her crazy friend Vanessa. Vanessa is very talkative, unfortunately I never have any idea what she's talking about. I think even if she spoke English I'd still have no idea what she's saying. Here's a snippet of a conversation from last night:
Her: Why aren't you drinking?
Me: I'm driving and there's loads of police around these days
Her: And taxis