Perennial Ex-Pat

I'm English and I live in Macau. Nuff said.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Keep It Beautiful

Arrived in Cartagena at 5.30 this morning, exhausted and pissed off.

Apparantly, amongst Erica´s friends, I´m very popular. I know that this is because of my Knowing Gestures Strategy, but Erica can´t figure it out ´It´s not like you´re very good looking´. Good point Erica (and thanks) but KGS, it seems, can overcome the obstacles of both language and ugliness.

Talking of ugly, I sat opposite a very ugly couple at lunch today, the man a gringo the woman a latina. Despite their ugliness, their children were very beautiful. I still plan to marry beautiful though, it´s just not worth the risk is it?

I met Juan today, a Spaniard I know who sorted me out with an apartment last time I was here and is doing the same this time. He brought with him a gift, all the music I´d collected from my last South American trip, mostly Brazilian, but thought was lost forever. I didn´t realise I´d left it at his - what a star.

Sometimes when you travel overseas, text messages that people send you seem to get stuck in the system, and you´ll the same message dozens and dozens of times. This is happening to me right now, unless Isabelle has turned into a stalker (which isn´t that much of a stretch to be honest). Whenever this happens I try to turn this to my advantage. At lunch with Erica today I managed to imply that these were from an obsessive female admirer. All this from a few well timed facial gestures. I hope you realise now the power of KGS.