Perennial Ex-Pat

I'm English and I live in Macau. Nuff said.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Me Voy a Sevilla. First Time Music

Im off to Sevilla tonight with ***** (this is the new inpenetrable code I´ve taken to use when referring to anyone that might object. Don´t try to crack it, you won´t be able to). I´ve only ever been to Sevilla with Giris before and ***** is a native of Sevilla, so should be good.

I don´t know if you´ve ever thought of this before, but the first glimpse a woman gets of your music tastes is a critical determinant of their impression of you. I always try to manage the situation very carefully and put a lot of planning into it. It´s been a minefield for me recently because there´s been exclusively Spanish speakers in my car and their tastes can be very different from mine. The strategy I´ve developed, because I can´t stand most Latin music and no-one´s been able to guide me to the right stuff, is to go with some crossover stuff. There´s a lot of remix CDs out there from guys like Paul Oakenfold etc that will take a Latin base and throw a less monontonous more British sound over it. I had arranged to pick up D**** yesterday, a friend of ***** (she also knows ***** and once went out with ****, but they had a row because he still loved ******), and this would be the first time she´s been in my car. I chose Giles Peterson´s Made in Brazil, a compilation of re-produced old and new Brazilian stuff. Not Latin, I´ll agree, but along the same lines. Anyway, disaster stuck. She called me, can you pick me up early, as I was in the area it was no problem. However I´d forgotten to take the Bruce Springsteen compilation out of the player and she got into the car with ´Glory Days´ blaring from the stereo. Don´t get me wrong, I´m happy to laud the virtues of Bruce to anyone (small crowd of long time friends, darkened room, clear exits, locked windows) but it dont really work with Latinas.

I spent my first night in on my own last night in what must have been months. I watched the telly. Really, REALLY, boring.