Perennial Ex-Pat

I'm English and I live in Macau. Nuff said.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Nuts and Ugly

I´m in Cali, alone. It´s much better being alone you know. Being a guest of a native in their country is alright up to a point, you get to see things and hang out with people you never would otherwise, but it´s incredibly limiting at the same time. For a start, I became completely dependant upon my friend and her family for everything. Because I was in the middle of nowhere, I couldn´t just walk into the street and hail a taxi I had to get them to call one, and because they were incredibly hospitable I felt guilty about wanting to be on my own all the time.

Already in the few hours I´ve been alone I feel much more inclined to do stuff and roam around the city.

I tried to call a friend of mine, Erica, last night. We had a bit of a falling out before, but at least this time she answered my call (now that I think of it, this isn´t quite true, I didn´t call from my colombia number so she didn´t actually know she was answering my call). Anyway, things were going swimmingly, I was all set to tell her about how I was kidnapped by drug addicts and beaten to a pulp in a Cali warehouse and how I managed to escape by biting through the barbed wire they tied my wrists with, when I notice that ******´s at my shoulder...she grabs the phone off me then shouts something like ´Who am I speaking with? I´m his wife for 5 years, who are you?´ I decided I was going to take a firm grip of the situation...I walked out of the room, stunned. This is just one of the many oddball incidents, and the only publishable one, that has happened over the last ten days. I have a Spanish friend, who knows loads of Colombians in Spain. She tells me that Colombian women especially are all nuts. There has to be a downside to being so beautiful.

I, on the other hand, am nuts and ugly, which is a most unfortunate combination.