I Think Im in Love
With my friend's dad. A nicer man you never could meet. Despite the fact we only understand about 25% of what each other's saying, our relationship is blossoming. Yesterday he took us to Palmira for some shopping and also to visit his restaurant, then onto the bank. Whilst we were waiting in the bank, I pointed out how the gun wielding security guard would be pretty unheard of in Europe, but is common place in Colombia. He explained to me how bad the crime situation was in Cali and Palmira and that he had been shot (in the butt, unfortunately) a few years ago when his restaurant was robbed. He then lifted his t-shirt to show that he too was packing a pistol. He did this in a bank. Right next to the security guard, who had a bigger pistol. This all adds to his charm I think. He seemed to know everyone in Palmira and has practically got the whole two weeks planned out for me.
Which is nice, but a big problem. I'm going crazy here. My friend has bought a house here next to her family, so we're staying there. But I haven't rented a car (because I've been advised by practically everyone not to) and the place is a bit remote so it feels like a prison, control freak that I am. I can't tell you how friendly and hospitable her whole family are to me, it's actually quite moving, but it's a bit claustraphobic. To get some relief, I think I'll take two days away on my own to Cali, hopefully that won't cause too much offence.
We arrived here on Thursday, greeted by what must have been 15 of her family who came in two mini vans. It was an eventful journey to Colombia, more eventful than I like. During the flight we decided to buy some whisky on duty free, liquor is very expensive here. I thought it was for her family, but she opened it up there and then and got stuck in. Within what must have been 30 minutes, she was as pissed as hell, being extremely loud and not a little embarrassing. Actually though, the whole flight seemed to be pissed. You'll never see a happier set of people than on a plane to Colombia two days before Christmas. Planes and alcohol combined make me a bit nervous though. Eventually, friend conked out as quickly as she got drunk and spent the remaining two hours of he flight with her head on my lap. For about 1.5 hours of this I had to pee, but I figured I'd happily piss myself if it meant I didn't have to put up with her shenanigans.


<< Home