Perennial Ex-Pat

I'm English and I live in Macau. Nuff said.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Estoy en Bogota

I got bored of Cartagena so yesterday decided to go to Bogota. I arrived last night after dark, not something I usually like to do when arriving in a city I dont know, especially one with Bogotas reputation. (BTW, therell be no apostrophes in this blog as the keyboard refuses).

On the taxi ride to my hotel Bogota looked eerily like an English new town - working class areas characterised by thousands of identical red-brick houses. Im staying in a neighbourhood called the Zona Rosa, probably Bogotas West Village. I was exhausted after partying too much on Friday night (I told you I would) so being so tired plus being alone and I wasnt up for being that adventurous last night. The Zona Rosa looks suprisingly affluent, lots of upscale bars and clubs with a very high percentage of people dressed in Halloween wear, it looks like its as popular here as it is in the US.

I gotta say, Colombians are implausibly beautiful and much more so here than in Cartagena. Im sorry to report to those of you that like this sort of thing, most of you I think, my blog entries in Bogota will probably be less salacious than normal as I dont know anyone and Im not feeling like partying much. Come back in a couple of days once Ive moved further south, Im sure things will pick up.

I did my normal trick of escaping Cartagena without telling anyone, which means Ive probably burned all the bridges that I had there, but things were getting too sticky plus I was getting bored of Cartagena.

Bogota seems like an interesting town, but probably not much here to keep me beyond 2 or 3 days. Im slightly worried about the next leg to my journey. Im definitely leaving Colombia (because I may be coming back in December to tour more seriously with a Colombian friend) and the plan was to go to Buenos Aires or Rio. However, it seems like the connections to the rest of South America from Bogota are appalling. To get to Buenos Aires, one way, is gonna cost me US$750!!! Really, I think I could fly back to Spain and then onto BA from Madrid for about the same price. Another option, insane as it sounds, is to fly to Miami then onto Rio from there. A couple of nights in Miami sounds alright.