Perennial Ex-Pat

I'm English and I live in Macau. Nuff said.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

I Smell, Apparantly

The biggest laugh I got last night was when I was telling my current favourite taxi driver story. When you travel a lot you tend to have a couple of taxi driver stories. Spike has a good one. Mine happened to me yesterday. There´s not much to it, I took a taxi back to my hotel, arrived, paid the guy, then this conversation happens:
Taxi driver: You smell
Me: Que?
Taxi driver (waving hand under nose): You smell
Me: Quien?
Taxi driver (waving hand under armpit): You
Me (after long pause of disbelief): Oh. Sorry.
Don´t ask me why I apologised to a taxi driver who just accused me of being smelly. Note, also, that he told me this after I´d paid him.

I´m driving to Medellin from Cartagena on Monday or Tuesday of next week. I´d decided that I wanted to do this last week, but there was no way I would do it on my own. I wanted to ask Erica, but figured it was a bit forward to ask right away so I decided to wait a couple of days and see how things are going. So I asked on my first day and second gin and tonic. Luckily the answer was yes. She´s from Medellin, so should be a good guide.