Perennial Ex-Pat

I'm English and I live in Macau. Nuff said.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Bullitt - Buenos Aires Style

Another late night last night. Went to a bar somewhere in Recoleta with Noelia and a friend of hers called Romena or something like that. At 4.30 I decided to leave and went to get a taxi. I realised that I only had my keycard with me that had only the name of the hotel, not its address. It´s ok, the driver said, I´ll ask someone. We stop next to another taxi full of drunk partiers with inflated balloons. My driver rolled down the window and began to ask them where my hotel was, he handed them the card then their driver sped off at what seemed like 100mph with my key card. ´Necissito mi tarjeta´ I screamed from the backseat, and my driver commenced to chase the other taxi around Buenos Aires at 4.30 in the morning for 5 minutes. We eventually caught up with them, then they gave us completely the wrong direction, and after the driver asked several more people he gave up, drove me back to where we begun (hoping I wouldnt realise) and said ´Here you are. Your hotels just round the corner´. Not being drunk enough to fall for that one, I got out and refused to pay him. I then had to go back into the bar I´d left 30 minutes earlier (it´s now about 5am) and, like an idiot, ask Noellia where my hotel was.

I had to change my hotel again this morning, everything is insanely booked up here, I´ve never seen anything like it. Theres no special events going on, its just BA is very busy during the high season. I´ve had to move to the Marriott Plaza at the insane rate of US$300 a day. I didn´t want to book a hotel for an entire week without seeing it, which is why I´m in this situation, but I shouldn´t have worried because every hotel I´ve stayed in here has been great.

I´m off to Sao Paolo tomorrow only for a couple of days probably, then onto what is probably the final leg of my journey and my spiritual home, Rio de Janiero. Thank god, btw, I don´t actually live in my spiritual home, I´d be dead within a month.